Prayer Shawl Ministry
"We've Got You Covered"
"Praise be to the God and Father of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those n any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).
Our purpose is to lend prayer support to others in a very tangible way. Loving hearts and hands make up the Prayer Shawl Ministry. Those who knit, crochet, or quilt pray for the recipient as they create a soft shawl or lap quilt that brings physical warmth and spiritual comfort. It is given to an expectant mother, someone in crisis, or who suffers in body, mind, or spirit. It's an embrace of prayer that serves as a physical reminder of God's constant love and presence that can bring healing to the heart.
All are welcome to join this ministry. We can teach you how to knit, crochet, or quilt. We meet at Our Lady of Grace Church on the 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month at at 10:00 a.m. You may create shawls on your own if you prefer.
Lion Brand Hompespun: 3 6-oz. skeins are suggested, but you can use anything you think is pretty. Approximate finished size: 26' x 60'
- Use size 13 needles.
- Cast on 57 stitches, fairly loosely.
- Knit 3, purl 3 to the end of the row.
- Turn and knit the purl stitches & purl the knit stitches. (With 57 stitches you will always start and end a row with K 3.)
- Continue pattern of knit 3, purl 3.
- Bind off loosely with a knit row.
- Note: You can also knit every row (garter stitch).
- Cut 114 lengths of yarn 12" long.
- The yarn lengths are doubles over for 6' fringe.
- Use 57 lengths on each end of the shawl.
- Knot end of fringe lengths to prevent fraying.
- Use a crochet hook size M or N.
- Loosely chain 54 stitches.
- First Row: Chain 1, turn, single crochet in each of the stitches to the end.
- Repeated row: Ch 3 and turn.
- Double crochet in top of each single crochet.
- Repeat this double crochet row 2 more times.
- Repeat pattern to end. (1 row SC, 3 rows DC.)
- End with 1 row SC.
- Add fringe as described in knit pattern above.
We give You thanks for
gift of our hands.
Give us the grace to see our hands
as You see them,
as instruments of grace.
Use our hands, O God,
to carry out Your works of
mercy and love.
May the shawls our hands create
bring blessing to those they
wrap in love
and healing to those upon
whom they rest.
For more information please call Melanie 602-463-4441.